Stratis Kas is a professional award-winning photographer and filmmaker who has been published numerous times in prestigious magazines like Vogue (Italy, Russia, Greece) and GQ (UK) among others. His work has included advertising material for brands like Christian Dior and Levi’s. As an artist, he has exhibited in galleries and shows in London, New York, and Paris.
Since 2016 he has led the Top2bottom cave filming team that specializes in Adventure Filming. In 2017 he finished his first film, “Amphitrite” which won a finalist place in the film festival “Short to the Point” in 2018. Currently, he is filming his first full feature film “Echoes of Silence” produced by Because I Can ltd and FilmO2 Paris.
Stratis has been diving since 2001. With a truly global experience in diving, from South America to Hawaii, and from the high altitude lakes in the US and Florida Caves to the Red Sea and beyond, he calls the underwater world home.
He is a Trimix, Technical Cave, and Technical cave DPV instructor. He is focused almost exclusively on Cave Diving and Sidemount. From preparatory courses to introduce the future Cave diver to the skills needed in the overhead, all the way to Technical, Multi-stage Cave DPV courses.
For Stratis, Cave diving is the only type of diving he does. He firmly believes that it cannot be an “occasional” type of diving, because of the intense focus and preparation needed, both physical and psychological, to be a safe sport.
The beauty that Cave diving offers to him each and every time he ventures into a cave somewhere around the world, is the reason he gets inspired to share it with new future Cave divers.
BOOKS & MANUALS as an AUTHOR
• CAVE DIVING MANUAL, CMAS GREECE 2017
• CAVE DIVING MANUAL, UTRtek ENGLISH VERSION, with Matteo Ratto
MAGAZINES AND OTHER PUBLICATIONS
• GUE QUEST# 19.1, “Cave Diving in Greece”
• GUE QUEST# 19.3, “The caves of Valstagna”
• GUE QUEST# 19.4, “Balancing efficiency and safety in Cave diving film productions”
• XRAY #94, “Why Sidemount is my true DIR Diving option”
CONFERENCES AND EVENTS AS A SPEAKER
• TEKDIVE EUROPE 2017 Belgium, presenting the short movie: “Amphitrite”
• EUDI 2018 Italy, presenting the short movie: “Amphitrite”
• TEC EXPO 2018 Belgium, presenting: “Cave Diving in Greece”
• EUROTEK 2018 UK, presenting: “Balancing efficiency and safety in Cave diving film productions”
• EUDITEK 2019 Italy, presenting: “Expeditions in Extreme Weather”